Post updated September 24, 2019
With Google Apps, you can create documents and websites, store and share files, create and share calendars, and much more. Maybe you have been using a non-QC (i.e., gmail) account for some or all of these functions, and you are already familiar with the benefits of Google Apps (it’s free, it works on multiple platforms including mobile, it has great documentation online, among other things).
QC now has its own G Suite for Education environment, which comes with benefits beyond what you get with a non-institutional Google Apps account, including added security for data subject to FERPA protections, easier ways to share with people within QC, unlimited Google Drive storage space (a private Google account limits storage to 15GB), and access to software not available with a non-institutional Google Apps account.
Information for new users
New faculty, staff, and students: You need the following BEFORE you claim your QC G Suite account:
- A QC AD Account (aka CAMS Account or QC Username Account). If you don’t have one yet, go to https://cams.qc.cuny.edu/ to activate it.
- A Queens College email account. Two email domains are acceptable: @qmail.cuny.edu (i.e., student email addresses) and @qc.cuny.edu (i.e., faculty and staff email addresses).
Wait three business days before proceeding to the steps below.
To claim your QC G Suite account (be sure to read the terms and conditions):
- Click on either of the following links. (Do not go to Google.com to create a new account.)
They will take you to the QC login page:
- Faculty and Staff: Sign in with your QC Username (the same as your CAMS acount, e.g.: jdoe).
Students: Use your QC Username (the same as your CAMS account, e.g., jdoe101). Don’t have your QC Username? Go to https://cams.qc.cuny.edu/ to activate it.
- After claiming your account, the following page will explain the additional services. Click on “I accept” to proceed to your account.
If you previously created a Google account and associated it with your QC email (let’s call this your “gmail account”), you will be be presented with these options when you sign in:
- Change to an account with a Gmail address (jdoe[at]gmail.com)
- Change to an account with a different email address (jdoe[at]earthlink.net)
- Sign in with a temporary username provided by Google (jdoe%qc.cuny.edu[at]gtempaccount.com)
If you choose the last option, your personal account is automatically renamed to the temporary name that Google provides.
You will continue to have access to data in your personal account.
Once your account is activated, you can log in at this page to access all of the Queens College G Suite for Education: https://google.com/a/qc.cuny.edu/
To request a departmental account, submit this form to the IT Help Desk in Dining Hall 151.
For additional instructions on how to work with G Suite for Education, visit CTL’s Google FAQ page (http://ctl.qc.cuny.edu/google/) or check out Google’s page on Common Questions on G Suite for Education (https://support.google.com/a/answer/139019?hl=en).