Post updated October 28, 2016
With Google Apps, you can create documents and websites, store and share files, create and share calendars, and much more. Maybe you have been using a non-QC (i.e., gmail) account for some or all of these functions, and you are already familiar with the benefits of Google Apps (it’s free, it works on multiple platforms including mobile, it has great documentation online, among other things).
QC now has its own G Suite for Education environment, which comes with benefits beyond what you get with a non-institutional Google Apps account, including added security for data subject to FERPA protections, easier ways to share with people within QC, unlimited Google Drive storage space (a private Google account limits storage to 15GB), and access to software not available with a non-institutional Google Apps account.
New faculty and students: You need a QC AD Account (aka CAMS Account or QC Username Account) BEFORE you claim your QC Google Apps account. Please note, two email domains are acceptable: @qmail.cuny.edu (i.e., student email addresses) and @qc.cuny.edu (i.e., faculty and staff email addresses).
If you don’t have a QC AD account go to https://cams.qc.cuny.edu/ to activate it. Wait three business days before proceeding to the process described below.
To claim your Google Apps account (be sure to read the terms and conditions):
- Click on either of the following links. (Do not go to Google.com to create a new account.)
They will take you to the QC login page:
- Faculty: Sign in with your QC Username (the same as the one for your email e.g.: jdoe). Students: Use your QC Username (e.g., jdoe101). Don’t have your QC Username? Go to the start of this tutorial and proceed from there.
- After claiming your account, the following page will explain the additional services. Click on “I accept” to proceed to your account.
If you previously created a Google account and associated it with your QC email (let’s call this your “gmail account”), you will be be presented with these options when you sign in:
- Change to an account with a Gmail address (jdoe[at]gmail.com)
- Change to an account with a different email address (jdoe[at]earthlink.net)
- Sign in with a temporary username provided by Google (jdoe%qc.cuny.edu[at]gtempaccount.com)
If you choose the last option, your personal account is automatically renamed to the temporary name that Google provides.
You will continue to have access to data in your personal account.
Once your account is activated, you can log in at this page to access all of the Queens College G Suite for Education: https://google.com/a/qc.cuny.edu/
To request a departmental account, submit this form to the OIT Help Desk in Dining Hall 151.
For additional instructions on how to work with G Suite for Education, visit CTL’s Google FAQ page (//ctl.qc.cuny.edu/google-apps-at-qc/) or check out Google’s page on Common Questions on G Suite for Education (https://support.google.com/a/answer/139019?hl=en).