It’s not easy to remember to select all the right settings for an assignment on Blackboard. One setting with important consequences is the option to have students submit assignments through SafeAssign, the tool in Blackboard that checks for plagiarism. If you have set up an assignment and students have already begun to submit assignments, no worries: you can take their uploaded files and submit them yourself, using DirectSubmit. Here’s how.
Download the submitted assignments
- Go to the Grade center and locate the column corresponding to the assignment.
- Click on the drop down button next to the assignment name.
- Click on “Assignment file download.”
- Select no more than 50 items at a time.
- Click Submit. The resulting page confirms that the assignments have been packaged as a zip file.
- Click the link “Download assignments now.” This will send a zip file to your downloads folder. (Note that for each student submission, a text file (with a name ending in “.txt”) is generated. If the students submitted their assignments as attachments, you won’t need these text files, so it’s okay to discard them.)
- Unzip the folder and delete the txt files. Then compress the remaining files.
Submit the Assignments to SafeAssign
- Go to DirectSubmit (Control Panel > Course Tools > SafeAssign).
- Click “Submit a paper” (next to the + sign at the top).
- Click “Upload File” and browse to the zip file.
- Click Submit.