Google Apps for Education is a new service open to all faculty and students at Queens College. There are many tools available that will enable a more seamless interaction between you and your students (see QC Google Apps for Education). One such tool is Google Calendar, a powerful organizational tool and a great application for making appointments. It’s easy to use and you can view it on multiple devices (i.e., desktop computers, mobile devices, etc.).
Among Google Calendar’s features is the ability to make “Appointment Slots”, which let you set aside a period of time that you choose (e.g., 9:30 am – 10:30 am), and divide it into slots. If the student uses Google Calendar (personal or QC), it automatically shows all available appointments. Students simply click the time they want to reserve for their appointment. As a result, there is more time for you to actually prepare for office hours.
- Login with your CUNY QC G Suite Account (ex. jsmith).
- Open Google Calendar on your computer.
- Click and drag the times you want on the calendar to create your appointment(s).
- A pop-up box will appear; select “appointment slots.” (If this is your first time creating an appointment this box will appear; click “get started with appointment slots” then proceed to step 3).
- Under the “appointment slots” tab, you have a small window of information about your appointment slot:
- When: The Date and Time selected for the time slot
- What: The name of the appointment
- Calendar: Select which calendar your appointments will show on (Only if you have multiple calendars on your account)
- Type: Select whether to offer a single appointment slot or divide the time up evenly into multiple appointment slots (ex. One 30 minute appointment slot, Two 15 minute appointment slots, or Three 10 minute appointment slots)
- Click “Edit Details”
Editing Your Appointments
Once you choose “Edit Details” you will be brought to a new page.
There are several items on this page that will help you link to and edit your appointment slots. Click SAVE to save all edits made to your appointment slots:
- Appointment Page link – This is the link you should distribute to schedule appointment slots
- Title: For changing the title of your appointment slots
- Time Block: The Date and Time selected for the time slot. It could be set to repeatable to daily, weekly, biweekly, monthly or bimonthly
- Type: Select whether to offer a single appointment slot or divide the time up evenly into multiple appointment slots
(ex. One 30 minute appointment slot, Two 15 minute appointment slots, or Three 10 minute appointment slots)
- Where: Location
- Description: Description of your time slots
- Add guests: You can invite people to view your appointments (for example you might want your TA to join you during these appointments)
How your students can book appointments
Now that you have created your appointment slots. It’s time to fill them up. Using the link in your “Edit Details” page, your students will click on it, which will bring them to this calendar.
After a student selects a time slot, a confirmation box will pop up. He/she will select save and the time slot will be booked.
The booked time slot will now be unavailable for selection. If the student cancels the appointment, it will appear as available again.
Click here to read more about Google Calendar.